The Institute of Certified Chartered Economists – ICCE, is a membership-based professional body committed to raising professional economists with the highest ethical standards through quality education and collaborative learning.
- Describes how we gather and protect individually identifiable information (“Personal Information”).
- How we use, process, transfer, and share Personal Information.
- By using the Site or providing Personal Information to us you consent to our processing and transfer of your Personal Information.
- We collect Personal Information when you provide information to ICCE through the Site or our Mobile Apps, when you sign up for ICCE information through digital advertising, when you register for an exam or an event, or through other communications with ICCE and ICCE representatives. We use Personal Information to provide ICCE products and services to you.
- We transfer Personal Data to jurisdictions outside of your home country as necessary for the purposes described in this Policy, including to jurisdictions that may not provide the same level of data protection as your home country.
- We share Personal Information with member societies, exam preparatory providers and other partners which provide products and services that may be of interest to you. We also share Personal Information that you post on our Social Media and Networking Sites.
- We maintain reasonable and appropriate technical, physical, and administrative measures to protect the security of your Personal Information.
- Our Site and Mobile Apps may have links to other sites that we do not control. Their privacy policies may differ from ours. We encourage you to read the privacy statement of any website you may visit.
- If we make any material changes to our privacy practices, we will post a prominent notice on our Site notifying users of the change.
By using the Site or otherwise providing us with Personal Information you consent to our processing and transfer of your Personal Information as we describe here.
If you provide us with “sensitive” Personal Information, which includes information like:
- Ethnic or racial origin
- Religious or philosophical beliefs, and/or
- Health or medical conditions;
- We transfer Personal Data to jurisdictions outside of your home country as necessary for the purposes described in this Policy, including to jurisdictions that may not provide the same level of data protection as your home country. We provide appropriate protections for cross-border transfers as required by law for international data transfers.
- With respect to transfers originating from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and the United Kingdom, we implement standard contractual clauses and other appropriate solutions to address cross-border transfers as required by applicable law. Where required by such laws, you may request a copy of the suitable mechanisms we have in place by contacting us as detailed below.
- If you are located in a country other than the United States, you consent to the transfer of your Personal Information to us in the United States, to third party data processors located in the United States that we select, and to local Member Societies and third parties in other countries as we select. Other countries may not provide a level of data protection to your Personal Information equivalent to that provided by your home country.
The information we collect
Bases for Processing
Our bases for processing your Personal Information are:
- Contractual Necessity
- Legitimate Interests of ICCE
- Compliance with Legal Obligations
- Where necessary, Consent
Before we process Personal Information on the basis of the legitimate interests of ICCE we review our processing in light of the interests and fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject taking into account their reasonable expectations. Where we believe those interests or fundamental rights and freedoms override our legitimate interests, we will seek another valid basis for processing your Personal Information or refrain from that processing activity. Examples of our “legitimate interests” for processing your Personal Information include (but are not limited to):
- Processing for direct marketing purposes or preventing fraud
- Transmission of personal data for internal administrative purposes
- Processing for the purposes of ensuring network and information security
- Reporting possible criminal acts or threats to public security to a competent authority
Information you provide to ICCE
You may provide Personal Information to ICCE in a number of ways, including: (1) through your use of the Site, such as registering for an account and signing up to receive newsletters; (2) through data collection forms on ICCE’s website or other digital advertising; (3) upon registering for any ICCE educational offering, including the ICCE charter Program or any of our other professional learning programs; (4) upon becoming a Member; (5) upon communicating directly with ICCE either electronically or by providing hard copies of documents; and (6) upon registering for ICCE conferences or events.
The Personal Information we collect
Listed below are the classes of Personal Information that we collect. Please note, however, we do not collect all this Personal Information from everyone:
- Contact Data (name; personal contact information (phone, email address, physical address)
- Financial information
- Credit card data
- Passport information
- Educational background
- Criminal history
- Civil liability history
- Professional complaints, or investigations
- ICCE ID
- Reference letters
- Government identification number
- Health information
- Dietary needs
- Religious affiliation
- Work experience
- Professional conduct statement by employer/sponsor
- Video recordings
- Individual’s status in ICCE’s programs
- Behavioral data (how members use our content and offerings)
- Work location
- Job/position title
- Work contact data (telephone and fax numbers and email address)
- IP Address or Mobile Device ID
- Referring website
- Clear GIFs
- Type of Browser
- Type of Operating System
Purposes for which we use Personal Information
The purposes for which we process your Personal Information are listed below:
For Members, Candidates and Attendees at our Events:
- General membership and account management
- Processing your orders
- Processing applications and registrations that you submit to us
- Providing examination services and administering and scoring examinations
- Website Management
- Scholarship Program Award and Administration
- Measuring effectiveness of our products and services
- Maintain the online ICCE Member directory
For visitors to the Site:
- General account management and ICCE administration
- Website Management
- Website Improvement
- Scholarship Program Award and Administration
Cookies and Other Tracking Technology
Cookies are small pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer. Our Site uses session ID cookies (expire when you close the browser) and persistent cookies (persist even after you close the browser), which help our Site run more smoothly and tailor content for you. Our Site includes a mechanism to manage the cookies that we use on our Site through your Profile. Additionally, most web browsers have options that allow you to control whether to accept cookies and give you the option to delete all cookies. However, disabling may prevent access to some parts of our Site. Do Not Track Signals: If you wish to not be tracked during your visit to our Site, please follow your browser’s “Do Not Track” instructions or contact your browser provider for more information. By sending a Do Not Track Signal, you may be unable to use or access some features of our Site.
Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs)
Our Site may employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), which helps us to better manage content on our Site by informing us what content is viewed or clicked on. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a visitor’s computer, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on web pages and e-mails and are about the size of a period.
We also gather Personal Information automatically and store it in log files. For instance, when you visit our Site or use our mobile app, the server may automatically recognize information about you, including: the date and time you visited our Site, the pages you visited, the referrer (the website you came from), the type of browser you are using (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows or Mac OS), and the domain name and address of your internet service provider.
Third Party Processors and Transaction Processing
We engage third parties to perform services in connection with the operation of this Site and our organization. Examples of these third parties include website hosting service providers, testing vendors, technology service providers, payment processors, legal advisers and consultants, examination testing and/or related services. We share Personal Information with these third parties, but we authorize them to use this Personal Information only in connection with the services they perform on our behalf. Such parties are bound by contract to establish appropriate measures to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. In addition, we share certain Personal Information with third parties as necessary to facilitate our offering of products and services to you.
Digital Advertising and Remarketing
ICCE uses remarketing services (sometimes called interest-based advertising) to show relevant content on sites across the internet to previous visitors to our Site (as described below in “online behavioral advertising”) and email subscribers. These services allow us to tailor our advertising and marketing content so that it is relevant and suits your needs. If you have consented to receiving marketing communications from us, we may share certain pseudo-anonymized (hashed) portions of your Personal Information (e.g., your email) with social media and e-commerce platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Verizon Media and Amazon. If you have an account on one of these platforms, this data sharing facilitates delivery of ICCE advertising or messages while you are using those social media networks.
We share Personal Information of Members with their employers in order to validate membership and/or Charterholder status. We share Personal Information of Investment Foundations candidates with their universities and/or employers to validate candidate status and exam pass/fail result.
For some ICCE events, we may make certain Personal Information of all event attendees available to other event attendees and event sponsors. The Personal Information made available may include name, employer, address, and email address.
We share Personal Information of ICCE Charterholders with government regulators in connection with Charterholder reporting obligations. We also share Personal Information as required by law or at the request of government regulators or other law enforcement officials and the courts.
Accessing and updating your Personal Information
You may view your Personal Information on file with us at any time by visiting MyICCE (account login required), where you may change some of your Personal Information. Please note that we may require additional information to authenticate your identity.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate technical, physical, and administrative measures to protect the security of your Personal Information. Access to Personal Information is limited to only those employees, contractors, or authorized agents of ICCE who have authorization to access such Personal Information and such access is limited to the extent such information is needed to fulfil the task for which the Personal Information was collected.
While we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure the security of the information you transmit. We recommend you take every precaution in protecting your Personal Information when you are on the internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters and numbers when creating passwords, and make sure you use a secure browser.
Except where limited by applicable law, we reserve the right to update this Policy to reflect changes to our information practices by prominently posting notice of the update on this Site, and, if required, obtaining your consent. Any updates will become effective immediately after posting the updates to this Policy and apply to all information collected about you, or where required, upon your consent. You agree that you will review this Policy periodically. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the “Last Updated” date above. You are free to decide whether or not to accept a modified version of this Policy, but accepting this Policy, as modified, is required for you to continue using the Site.
If we make any changes to this Policy that materially and adversely impacts previously collected information about you, we will obtain your consent for processing information previously collected about you in such a manner.